5.29.2017

A Pained Veteran Seeking the Glorification of Peace

It gets harder and harder to bear. There is Veteran's Day on November 11, and then there is Flag Day (June 14), and Memorial Day (May 29), and Independence Day (July 4). And most of Americans lump them all together and think they are supposed to celebrate the American military and military achievements on those days, thereby creating a culture of Glorification of War. Where, I ask you, is the Glorification of Peace?

In reality, Memorial Day is for those who have paid the ultimate price of war -- death. A truly sacred honor that should not be bestowed on others who simply serve. Something that none of us actually desires for our loved ones, but a commendable state just the same and certainly worth of a moment of recognition. In fact, a long hard moment! I get acknowledging the dead. Those who have died in combat, not just died at a ripe old age, having served their country at some point in their long lifetime, like myself.

I do so very much appreciate soldiers and families that sacrifice a more comfortable life for our freedoms (Veterans Day). It is not an easy job for the service member or their family. Showing appreciation for their sacrifice is long overdue and short on true thanks.

I love our American history, that we decided to break away from England (Independence Day). And I recognize that time in history has brought us all to where we are today. Seriously? I would not want to be involved in Brexit right now, although these days we certainly have our own cross to bear as Americans. But still, hooray for Independence Day. But, that does not mean we should continue our warring ways.

I ask, where is the celebration of the many years of Peace in America. You know, the "good years" without war. Why don't we have a national celebration for that? Why are millions of dollars pumped into war instead of into peace? When will we celebrate Peace?

No comments: