6.23.2020

Election Day, COVID-19, and Mississippi Burning all over again


Today would normally be a very long day for me, starting at 5:00 a.m. and concluding around 9:00 p.m. -- assuming everything goes smoothly. Then of course, the late night waiting for results to come in. Even though it is long, I love Election Day! I love seeing democracy in action. I love helping people as they cast their ballot, being a part of their government and their own destiny. I know it is silly, but I even love handing out those “I Voted” stickers! So, while it was a very hard decision for me, I unfortunately will not be working the polls today and here is why.

This election was moved from early June to June 23rd by the Governor of Virginia because of COVID-19 restrictions, which I hailed as a smart move at the time. I was also excited when Fairfax county encouraged voters to protect their health during the COVID-19 outbreak by voting absentee either by mail and in-person to spread out crowds, for all upcoming elections, and actively pushed this on social media and through aggressive marketing. 

When our election officers’ emails came out in late May, I was impressed with the contingency response plan they had developed. The state would provide PPE kits for polling places and required election officers to wear face masks and gloves at their stations. They would provide hand sanitizer in all polling places. The plan required that voters maintain a 6-foot distance from each other and from election officers at all times and limited the number of voters and companions in the voting room to no more than 10. They would provide voters with single-use pens and single-use privacy folders. There would be no "I Voted" stickers to minimize contact between officers and voters (okay, that one made me a little sad, but it was a good call). They would direct any election officers displaying symptoms of allergies or illness (e.g. coughing, sneezing) that might be interrupted as COVID symptoms to go home.

But then came the kicker. They would "strongly encourage" voters to wear face masks, but they would not be required. This is where I had an enormous problem with the plan. I am REQUIRED to wear a face mask to go and conduct business at the US Post Office, or at any indoor essential or non-essential businesses in Virginia. I am required to wear a mask at libraries; in medical waiting rooms; at indoor church services; while on public transportation and on most domestic airline flights; inside food and beverage establishments, except when eating or drinking; at my own private summer membership club when indoors or interacting with staff; even when accessing Virginia and Fairfax government services. And I am totally fine with that requirement. It protects both me and others. 

There are stated exemptions, of course, situations in which people do not have to wear a cloth face covering while using indoor public spaces. These include: while eating or drinking; while exercising or using exercise equipment; anyone who has a breathing problem or health issue that would put their health at risk by wearing a cloth face covering; anyone communicating with people who are hearing impaired for which the mouth needs to be visible; when temporary removal of the face covering is needed to get medical or governmental services. I DO NOT see going to a polling place to vote on that list of exemptions.

Since receiving our Election Officers email in May, I have been in conversation with state and local authorities about the lack of a requirement that voters wear a face mask. On June 10, I sent a final attempt email to the Fairfax County Office of Elections which stated: “With Phase 2 going into effect on Friday and reading the guidelines as published, I am curious what the rationale is for not requiring masks of voters in the polls? It appears that the governor's order and guidance provided on the Fairfax County site would be read to require masks in these instances. (See, https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/covid19/face-coverings) I appreciate that you intend to require poll workers to wear face masks throughout their shift, which will make for an especially long day with other added restrictions and safety procedures, even beyond the usual long day, but completely necessary. So it seems particularly perplexing that you wouldn't also require such protection OF voters and BY voters who, although they will only be in the building for a short time, can certainly be a vehicle for contagion to both poll workers and to fellow voters. If the concern is that voters who do not wish to wear a mask, regardless of the governor's orders or those few who might be exempt per the governor’s order, might claim that they are being denied their vote, the simple answer is to allow them to vote absentee OR request a curb-side vote at the polls on election day. I would love nothing more than to serve in the upcoming June 23rd election, but I simply cannot risk my health and the health of my family because someone simply doesn't want to wear a mask, in clear violation of the governor's orders, and when other means are available for them to vote.”

The county election staff’s answer, which came swiftly so was likely a canned response and certainly did not address my suggestions to allow alternate means for those who chose not to where a mask to vote, stated “Based on guidance from the State Board of Elections (issued after the Governor’s order), we cannot require voters to wear masks. In short, a person’s right to vote supersedes the order to wear a face mask. To do otherwise would be considered voter disenfranchisement.  We are simply following the directive from the state on this matter.”

My ultimate answer: Some things are simply not worth dying in a ditch for. I withdrew from working the polls on June 23rd.

Much like the recently implemented flight screenings at some airports – where they will take your temperature and if you have one will pull you aside for further screening and “recommend” that you not travel, but will not prohibit it (https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/06/22/lax-is-testing-fever-detecting-cameras-passengers-depart-arrive/) – these efforts to “recommend” a mask to voters are pointless without any enforcement. If you are a Seinfeld fan, you will likely recall the episode about taking a car rental reservation versus holding the reservation. This is similar, except on a very deadly level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaAeUQrVw4c

Think about who will show up at the polls today. Part of my final decision to not work this election comes from the fact that there are no contested Democratic races so the only candidates on the ballot in my district are a three-way primary race for the Republican challenger to incumbent Senator Mark Warner. Thus, voters showing up today will likely be Republicans, who are largely those adamantly opposed in social media to wearing a mask. That means that my risk of exposure to a potentially deadly disease is highly amplified. Thus, I am good with my decision to sit this one out.

But what about November’s election? Having watched the recent elections in Wisconsin and elsewhere, where masked voters stood in long lines for hours at the height of COVID active cases in highly contested races – God love them for their bravery and dedication to democracy – immediately, the decision becomes a bit more complicated for working November’s election.  
[Note: You can register to vote absentee in Virginia in November here: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/elections/absentee

A couple of nights ago we watched “Mississippi Burning” a 1988 film about the 1964 murder of three poll workers, Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner who went to Mississippi to register black voters. (***currently streaming on Amazon Prime Video, but due for removal on June 30, so please see it NOW as it is totally worth it and staggeringly on point with today’s issues.) It is a remarkable movie, that makes you sad to realize that we are in fact still dealing with most of the race issues that we were dealing with 50 years ago.

Much of the resurgence of hatred in America I blame on our current President and the ugliness that he and his racist followers have brought again to the forefront of the American experience. Great Again? My ass! He has revived evil itself and it is time that we eliminate it forever rather than simply place it in a neatly contained racist box of controlling African Americans and other minorities through police actions and incarcerations. We have much work to do to make things right, and it starts with police reform, prison reform, and the November election. Please join me in being a part of that change. I will not be missing working the polls at the November election, because that is something absolutely worth dying in a ditch for. 

No comments: