Various locations
Some people find taxidermy disgusting or at least disturbing. I have always been a bit fascinated by it. Taxidermy is quite diverse, running the gamut from the simple mounted trout above the mantel to appearing as fine art in various mediums. So, I guess it is not so surprising that it was sort of a mini-theme in my travels, especially if it is something you already seem notice.
The first taxidermy I encountered was in Ferndale Michigan, just outside of Detroit, at a restaurant called The Fly Trap. Not only was this establishment bold enough to have a somewhat unappetizing name for a restaurant, but it also even had art on the wall made from tiny taxidermized flies! My sister and I found it hilarious. The place was crazy crowded on a Tuesday at lunchtime (because the food was amazing!) so we took the first available table, although it would have been fun to be a “bar fly” there!
Besides the Astronauts and Cowboys thing, apparently, cowboys and taxidermy have a strong connection, as there were two pieces of taxidermy in a brothel in Deadwood, SD – a mounted peacock atop a piano and a stuffed baby zebra inexplicably wearing Mardi Gras beads. I really wish I had asked about that one; I am sure there was a good story. And I promise you, we will get to that visiting a brothel story … eventually.
I saw lots of deer, elk, and various other heads on walls at practically every restaurant out west. Aside from the usual use of taxidermy as décor or to entice shoppers or cowboys, there are also competitions devoted to the craft of taxidermy.
It is incredible what imaginations people who do taxidermy have. That became quite apparent when we took in part of the art exhibition at the 21c Hotel in Oklahoma City, where Denitta and I stayed after our long Route 66 haul. I would consider the pieces in this exhibit fine art taxidermy and by far the most bizarre that I saw on my trip. Yes, even more bizarre than boxing chipmunks or rodeo squirrels, because these pieces not just put recognizable creatures into amorphic human situations but created whole new creatures. I loved them, but even I was sort of glad that we had somehow missed that part of the exhibition the previous night when we got into town late and were enjoying the other art pieces after a very late-night dinner and drinks. That might have made for some very disturbing dreams, even for me.
If you came to this first through the blog, know that there are lots more photos on the Facebook post.
Bonus: During the pandemic, I started writing and posting “My
Virtual Smithsonian” and one of my pieces was the Smithsonian Taxidermy edition.
If you haven’t gotten your fill of taxidermy from this post, there’s lots more
in that Smithsonian post of mine, including tons of links in the comments.
Google Album of these photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cku1jyeRkRvqSMvCA


No comments:
Post a Comment