9.19.2022

To Endings, and New Beginnings

The Universe (and my heart)

Things don't always go on as long as one sometimes expects or hopes for -- childhoods, lives of loved ones, marriages, friendships, happiness, a good party, a great book, vacation, even sadness. It is part of the human experience to have endings and to also have new beginnings.  

I had about a dozen or more posts queued up, but with the realization in yesterday's post that it had been exactly two months ago that I had started my roadtrip, I decided that was enough. I have found a good exit ramp. So I am officially calling an end to blogging about my amazing trip with today's post of sunrises and sunsets. Because, really, aren't those the penultimate beginnings and endings?

I went out of my way to see as many sunrises and sunsets as I could on this trip. And not just see them, but be with them. To reflect on them. To appreciate them for the beginnings and endings that they are. To savor them like a delicious piece of cherry pie. A la mode, of course. 

When my sister and I were in Crystal Lake, MI we cut our stay there short by one day because the windy weather wouldn't allow us to go out on the lake and enjoy it. Sometimes plans change; you adjust. The last thing we did as we were leaving town headed toward Chicago was eat at The Cherry Hut, a bit of a local institution. As we looked over the menu, we reminisced about something our Aunt Pat used to say. 

Pat was not an actual blood aunt, but she was my mom's best friend since the second grade, and she and her husband Frank always treated us like family. Pat had passed away, after an extended illness, in March of 2020. Just as Covid was becoming a reality to the rest of us, and a year to the month prior to my mom dying. Aunt Pat loved chocolate, and cookies, and cake, and pie, and one of her favorite lines was "Life is uncertain; eat dessert first." So that is what we did, in her honor. We had the pie first.    

I thought a lot about endings and beginnings on this trip, and even more about all of the beauty in between. I hope you have enjoyed the things that I shared about my trip and the personal stories I shared. Don't worry, I will continue sharing things. I like to share. I like to make people think. I like to make people laugh. I like to make people feel like they are not alone in this world. I like to help people accept endings, and look for new beginnings. Peace & Love to you all.


If you came to this first through the blog, know that there are more photos on the related Facebook post 

Google Album for these photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nw6VRUpe4zzSfiGMA 


No comments: