This is it. My oldest daughter will be starting her senior
year of high school in a couple of days. My youngest just got her driving
learner's permit. It is about to get real. Changes are underfoot.
I have never been one to shy away from change. I have been a soldier, a professional
photographer, an actress, an elections lawyer, a master gardener, a website developer, a writer, a
Chinese brush painter, a gym rat, a circus arts addict, a music and theatre arts promoter, an editor. I usually
find myself heading in a completely different direction, reinventing myself before
I make it to about the seven year mark, at most, of any endeavor. I guess this makes me sort of a
modern-day renaissance woman.
I have joked for years with my husband that he has survived
my seven-year-itch affliction several times over. I'm not sure if that is something
he actually appreciates or has simply endured. I realize that my life is a bit meandering. Being his
wife and mother to our two girls have really been the only things in my entire
life so far that I haven't eventually become disenchanted with and walked away.
As a child I recall being asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I always hated that question. As if I must choose one thing and be saddled with it for a lifetime. That to me sounded like hell - Sisyphus forever pushing that boulder up the hill, the Death of a Salesman. Even as an adult, one all too often gets the question, "what do you do?" An equally loathsome question for those of us who are always moving forward, looking for the next opening, doing and creating on multiple fronts, both simultaneously and linearly, forever seeking to find the things that will sustain us until we find something else new and exciting.
We are increasingly living in a time that values the expert,
the specialist, and to be such requires that one focus on a single subject or
discipline. Otherwise one risks the label of an amateur, dabbler, dilettante, dallier,
or jack-of-all trades/master of none, which I have learned to wear as a badge
of honor. Often, though, such labels leave us feeling confused or ashamed for simply
being our true, authentic, multi-dimensional selves. Honestly, humans were not
meant to do the same thing for a lifetime; that is what robots are for. As
humans, we are meant to be explorers, to experience, to be Seekers.
Seekers make way for possibility and invention. Seekers see
things in a very different way than others do and can often find solutions that
elude most. Seekers can actually be quite successful. Here are a few wonderful
examples of Seekers in history and the present: Ben Franklin was a politician,
writer, musician, scientist and inventor.
Leonardo DaVinci was an inventor, painter, philosopher, poet, architect,
engineer, physician, writer, stage designer, theologist, astronomer, actor,
singer, and yes, even a court jester. Arnold Schwarzenegger has reinvented
himself as a bodybuilder, actor, producer, author, philanthropist, activist,
politician, investor and businessman. Temple
Grandin , a remarkable modern-day
renaissance woman, is a scientist, professor, activist (for autism, animal
rights, and food safety), author, inventor, and motivational speaker. Not bad company to be in.
My oldest daughter doesn't know what she wants to study in
college, so right now she is having trouble figuring out where she wants to go. I am
having trouble getting through to her that few people do know and that is okay.
I want her to be a Seeker. I want her to have diverse experiences and live a
life of learning and searching for that next something that will make her happy and challenge
her, whether that is in a lifelong pursuit or just for seven years or less at a
time.

2 comments:
Great post, Tonda! I couldn't agree more. I am always looking for my next hat...
Beautifully written and I agree with you. I have also made many changes during my life and have always loved not having to stay in one profession. Of course it doesn't suit everyone, but it is great for those willing to dare to do something different. The only phase I hope to continue for many years is my present one - being retired!! I absolutely love it. Of course being a wife, mother and grandmother is the other thing I wouldn't change, especially the latter role.
Post a Comment